Friday, April 2, 2010

My Name is David and I'm a Blackberry-aholic

I confess, I'm addicted... I never understood the allure of the Blackberry until I finally purchased one. I wondered how people could be so rude and oblivious, mindlessly walking and texting, texting while in conversation with an actual human being standing right there in front of them. And then, I finally got one of my very own...

Blackberry Instant Messenger (My Achilles heel). I thought I was a polite person but the Blackberry changed me into a walking Faux Pas. Lending half of my attention (at best) to the person actually in front of me, and the lion share of my attention to the Blackberry. Maybe the grass is always greener, that blinking red light signifies a mysterious present that we can't seem to resist. My only question now is whether or not I should renew my Blackberry plan or try and go "cold turkey". Maybe this is just the new order of things, anyways my phone just buzzed, detox will have to wait. 

3 comments:

  1. i'm the same way with my blackberry i dont realize how rude im being in social situations until someone points it out to me. But i dont think i could ever go back to not having a blackberry. Do you ever feel like its more work to have a blackberry though? because of bbm i always feel like im on call and its very time consuming to have such lengthy conversations with people that i would never have via regular text message

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya... I've got a crackberry and I continue to astonish myself at how impolite I can be. To know that someone has BBMed me, and to see only the 'D' and not the 'R' is incredibly annoying... and I'm not sure why. I think I'll start turning mine off at night at least.. but then again I wouldn't have an alarm clock. It's a sad reality to see a group of friends (like mine) sitting around with one another, and yet are constantly on their blackberrys. There are pros and cons to every form of social networking, but this seems like something that we should give more consideration to, for as our online presence is being enhanced, our face-to-face relationships are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agreed the "read" and "delivered" function certainly lights a fire under you. Once you open up that message it's like diffusing a bomb, you only have a few minutes before it detonates and you've committed a serious BBM Faux Pas. And yet...no matter where I am, when I see that blinking red light, I can't seem to resist.

    ReplyDelete